cottage renovation...diy wall mounted copper lamp

This was a cheap and easy lamp with big style points, and I needed good achievable value in this budget rennovation.  The corner of the living room needed a lamp, but the cheapest standing lamp I could find was around $150 and not very pretty.  So inspired by all the copper projects I have seen out there I decided to make my own.

You will need:

  • lamp holder for pendant with built in switch
  • 1 tube of copper pipe
  • 1 x copper L-bend connector
  • 2 x copper saddle fittings
  • 1 x lampshade
  • 1 x 5m extension cord
  • hacksaw

To make:
  • Use hacksaw to cut pipe in half
  • Cut plug end off extension cord (not the end that plugs into the wall) and thread through pipe, L-shaped connector, second piece of pipe
  • Connect 2 pipe pieces uses L-shaped connector
  • Attach lamp to wall using saddle fittings
  • Attach lamp holder to cut end of extension cord and pull through the pipes until it is the correct drop length.
  • Plug into wall and use
I am not going to talk about how you attach the lamp holder to the electrical cord.  If you can change a plug you will be able to do this bit of work but if you are worried get an electrician to help.  

The cost of all the parts including the lamp shade was around $40 and it took me about 2 hours to make and hang.  

I am just sorry that the photo's are not a bit better.  The day I shot these pics was rather dark and I battled to get the lampshade visible against the white wall.  To much white on white and not enough contrast.

The arm swivels well and can be adjusted to just the right position easily.
Super pleased with it and I think they would make really good bedside lamps too.